/*Copyright 1999 Gourami Software*/> if($life!=42); $text="FFFFFF"; $bgcolor="000000"; $link="FFFFFF"; $vlink="#FFFFFF"; $alink="AAA255"; $background="http://members.aol.com/GouramiSW/images/main/gourblk2.jpg"; endif; > ">
OS: Windows 95/98/NT4
ICQProxy is a simple, free utility that allows you to make a UDP connection from a computer on your network to ICQ. If you are using, for example, WinGate to share an internet connection, and are experiencing difficulty with setting up the UDP mapping to ICQ, ICQProxy is the simple solution. ICQProxy maps a UDP connection from a client machine on a network to an ICQ server via the machine connected to the internet.
ICQProxy Notes and Help
Be sure to install ICQProxy on the machine directly connected to the internet. ICQProxy will not work if it is installed on a client machine.ICQProxy provides the UDP proxy for the ICQ service. For full functionality, ICQ requires a TCP connection and a UDP connection. ICQProxy accepts UDP connections from a client computer on your network on port 3333. The connection to ICQ uses port 4000.
To configure ICQ on a client computer on your network to work with ICQProxy:
How to Configure the Software
- Go to the Preferences window in ICQ.
- Select the Connection tab.
- Under "Internet Connection Type," click the permanent internet connection and the "I am behind a firewall or proxy" radio buttons.
- Click the Firewall Settings button.
- Unless you know the correct setting, try "I am using a SOCKS4 proxy server." If this setting does not work, try the others.
- Click the Next button.
- Assuming you selected SOCKS4:
- SOCKS4 Host: the name of the computer connected to the internet
- SOCKS4 Port: probably 1080 - verify this if possible
- Click the "Use a mapped port on a proxy" radio button.
- Proxy Server Host: the name of the computer connected to the internet
- Proxy Server Port: 3333
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Check My FIREWALL/Proxy Setting button if you have started ICQProxy on the internet-connected machine. If the connection fails after two tries, repeat the above steps, changing the server type from SOCKS4 to one of the other two.
To configure ICQProxy on a host computer to work with ICQ on a client computer:
There is no help file associated with this application, but feel free to send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Either open ICQProxy or restore ICQProxy from the minimized state.
- Click the Options... menu item.
- In the ‘Client Computer’ field, enter the name or IP address of the client computer (the computer running ICQ and not connected directly to the internet).
- In the ‘Remote Connection To’ field, enter the address of an ICQ server name. The recommended server name at the time of this writing is ‘icq.mirabilis.com’ without the quotes.
- Click the OK button.
WinGate & ICQ
WinGate and ICQ
Download ICQProxy for Windows 95/98/NT4, ic10165f.exe (~2 MB):The file is a self-extracting zip file. After downloading, run the file and select a temporary directory for the setup files. Be sure you've removed any previous versions of ICQProxy, then run setup.exe from the temporary directory. When setup is complete, you may delete the setup files. /*
[Products] [Interact] [Miscellany] [Register] [About] [Links]